There are about a thousand reasons that anyone would want to start hiding their text messages: they reveal a lot about our personal lives, they could have private conversations you wouldn’t want anyone else to be privy to. And you have every right to privacy there is!
So here we have a method to keep your text messages hidden on your iPhone.
Why Hide Text Messages?
The thought of wanting to hide your text messages from others may make you feel guilty but that’s not the case ever. Hiding text messages doesn’t always mean you have something fishy going on in your lives or you’re an evil mastermind. Some one’s birthday could be around the corner and you could be planning them a surprise. Or you don’t want any one barging into your own personal life, like I said before you every right privacy that there is and if people in your life aren’t being respectful that then it’s time to put a stop to it.
Here are the ways you can hide text messages on your iPhone. These methods work for iOS 11 and even all the former versions iOS 10, iOS 9 etc
1# Disabling Lock Screen Message Preview:
You might have noticed how every message you receive gets shown up on your lock screen in the form of an excerpt. And maybe Apple just wanted to make it easier for you with this feature so you can figure who texted you, and enable you to send a quick reply by swiping left.
This feature could be useful but is also a risk to your privacy. Good news is you can disable it by following these steps:
- Open Settings App and go to Notifications and press on Messages
- Scroll down and search for the Include section
- The Include section will have the Show Preview option. This option will be enabled by default. Click on it to disable it.
- Now when you receive a text message you will notice how the text message won’t show up on your lock screen since the feature was disabled.
- You can enable it again by following the same process.
2 # Disable the Lock Screen Notification Feature:
Your text message won’t be displayed on your lock screen but you will still receive a notification for it. That too can put you in a risk. Luckily you have the option to disable that too:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone
- Choose the Show on Lock Screen option and click on it to disable it
- Also disable the Badge App Icon option – Disabling the Badge App Icon removes the small badge that shows the amount on unread text messages you have piled up on the Messages App icon.
3 # Hiding Text Messages Inside the Message App – using HiddenConvos
So Apple does not provide the option for hiding your text messages on the Message App and that’s a bummer. Fortunately we have a very useful Cydia Tweak known as HiddenConvos. This tweak allows you to hide any conversation on your Messages App with a simple swipe and tap.
For this you will require a jailbroken iPhone:
- Launch Cydia and install the HiddenConvos tweak
- Once installed, launch the Messages App and swipe left on any conversation you want to hide. A Hide button will appear next to the delete button – click on it.
- Once you’ve tapped on the Hide button your conversation thread will go into hiding without getting deleted.
- To unhide it press Edit and choose Unhide All.
More Applications to Hide Text Messages:
In case you don’t have a jailbroken device, you can always improve your privacy with these following apps available from the app store:
CoverMe is an amazing app for the purpose of privacy. It includes features like Private texting, private calling protected by well-developed military grade encryption algorithms. Even private file sharing, self destructing messages and another feature called Private Vault. The private vault keeps all your files, pictures, documents and data safe since this vault is impenetrable. This app free for download but mostly has in-app purchases for additional features.
iDiscrete is yet another amazing privacy app available on the app store. It consists of a long storage box where you can stash all the stuff that you want to keep hidden. Like videos, pictures and even texts. It has a special patented Touch Sequence Protection security mechanism. When an unauthorized person opens the app, instead of your actual stuff appearing, a fake loading screen appears. Only the person who owns the device can figure out that it requires a password to proceed from this step.
Wickr Me is a special encrypted collaboration platform for teams and enterprises. You can delete security messages, videos and images. Self destruct messages, remove meta data from multi media content and send encrypted messages to other users of Wickr Me.