How to Check iPhone is Unlocked or Locked? [Tutorial]
Are you planning to leave your country and wanted to check whether iPhone is unlocked or locked? You have come to the right place! ?
We know that being knowledgeable about your iPhone is important. This is the reason why I have prepared an easy to follow tutorial that will guide you in checking and verifying if your iPhone is locked or unlocked.
Basically, if your iPhone is locked then it will not accept any other SIM card than the one that came along with your iPhone, but on the other hand, unlocked iPhone will support SIM card of any cellular network.
How to Check Whether iPhone is Unlocked or Locked?
There are two possibilities to check whether iPhone is unlocked or locked. We have outlined both possible methods below.
Method #01 – Through Settings App
This method requires you to access the Setting app on your iPhone. The steps are as follows.
NOTE: This method #01 may seems to be a lot easy to follow than the next method, i.e., method #02. However, the reliability of this method is not guaranteed.
Step #01 – On your iPhone’s Home Screen (also known as the SpringBoard), find an app named “Settings” and then tap on it to open the app.
Step #02 – Now in the Settings app look for an option that either says, “Mobile” –for United Kingdom English or “Cellular” –for American English.
If any of the above mentioned option exists then tap on it to access the next screen.
Step #03 – Now search for an option named, “Mobile Data Network” or “Cellular Data Network”.
If any of the option mentioned above is found on your iPhone then it is most likely that the iPhone you have is unlocked. That’s because these options usually does not exist on locked iPhones.
Step #04 (OPTIONAL) – You can also repeat the three steps mentioned above after ejecting a SIM card from your iPhone. This step is just to verify if the “Data Network” option still appears without a SIM card or not. If the option exists then your iPhone is unlocked.
Method #02 – Using a SIM Card of Different Cellular Network
To check whether iPhone is unlocked or locked using this method, then you must need to have an active and operational SIM card of another cellular network. If you already have another SIM card then you can follow these steps to check your iPhone’s status.
NOTE: This is a recommended and the most reliable method to check if your iPhone is locked or unlocked.
- Step #01 – Make sure that you are able to make a phone call using a SIM card currently inserted into your iPhone. Once you are assured, move on to the next step.
- Step #02 – Power off your iPhone by holding a Sleep/Wake button on your iPhone until the display screen says, “Slide to power off”. Now slide that option to power off your iPhone.
- Step #03 – Eject the SIM card tray from your iPhone using a SIM card ejection tool or a paper clip. IMPORTANT: While ejecting, please pay attention to the orientation of your SIM card tray because you must need to reinsert it in the same orientation.
- Step #04 – Once the SIM card tray has been successfully ejected, remove the current SIM card and replace it with a SIM card of another cellular network.
- Step #05 – Insert the SIM card tray back into your iPhone in the correct orientation.
- Step #06 – Turn on your iPhone by holding a Sleep/Wake button on your iPhone until the display screen powers up.
- Step #07 – Now attempt to make a phone call to check if your iPhone allows you to do so using a SIM card of another mobile network.
If you are able to initiate a phone call then congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked. Else, if your iPhone show any error message or does not allow you to make a call then your iPhone is locked.
That’s it. We hope this tutorial helped you in checking whether your iPhone is unlocked or locked. In case you have questions or queries related to this topic then leave a comment in the comments section below.